Saturday, October 20, 2012

Style the Walls Without Breaking the Bank!

Wall art can really help tie a room together, but it can also be extremely expensive. In this tutorial I am going to teach you how to make a picture wall for under $15. In my previous post I told you about redoing my kitchen and the custom border I had made, well that was not the only area that I had to get creative. I absolutely adore Paula Deen, and the idea of having a Paula Deen inspired breakfast nook just seemed to suit, however as many of you know many of the kiosks at photo centers will not print copy written pictures (and for good reason), and many at home printers do not render the most clear pictures. So instead I simply used an outdated Paula Deen calender. Calender pictures are large in size and have a very clear resolution, plus outdated calendars on Ebay are generally around $3. For the frames I used a very simple black 8x10 frame I found at Walmart for $1.50 a piece. If simple is not your style you can easily glam up your frames or you can also mix and match frames you found at thrift stores.



Here are the steps I took achieving the look
  1. I began by unstapling the calender and separating the calender at the folds, I then had 12 pictures to choose from. I only needed 8 to accomplish the look I desired.
  2. After deciding which pictures I would used. I took the glass out of one of the picture frames and positioned it on each print and used it as a view window. Whatever is showing in the glass will be what is showing when framed, so be sure not to include the little hole at the top that you would use to hang the calendar. Once you get the glass angled to your liking you simply trace around the glass with a pen.
  3. Cut along the marks you made, I used scissors, but if you are an exacto knife champion be my guest.
  4. Frame the cut out in a frame and viola.
I hope you found this helpful! If you try it be sure to send pictures, I'd love to see everyone else's ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Damon, You are coming up with some great ideas for your kitchen. It is going to be a room that is all you and a great place to cook and entertain :)

    I'm glad that you liked my doors. I have a piece of wallpaper left from the roll. It's only about 12 inches by the original width. I am thinking about using copper, brown and green paint and giving it an antique old copper tile look and them framing it as an art piece. I do believe that this product could be used in so many marvelous ways. Thank you so much for following. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello again Connie!! You've got some great ideas, I have been reading through your blog and have seen some of the great things you've done. I hope to keep in touch and you have a marvelous week!

      Delete
  2. Hi Damon, my wife sent me your way . . . she says that you like cooking and that you're fixing up your kitchen. Looks like it is coming along great. I also love cooking and do a lot of barbecuing and smoking, but I also love making stews, chili, jambalaya, and baking bread and pizza. I'm following and would really appreciate a follow back.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great to have you Steve! I am absolutely a nut when it comes to cooking, a lot of my time goes into making sure my kitchen is as warm and inviting as the dishes that come from it. I look forward to future interactions and will definately be checking your blog out!

      Delete