Saturday, October 20, 2012

Create a Custom Wallborder For Cheap!!

I am a picky person by nature, so when it comes to my home decor they have to really impress me and be unique (I run a blog named YouTique after all). When I moved into my home the kitchen was large and bright, however the walls had a floral detailed paneling and a sea foam green chair rail, mix the two elements together and the kitchen looked so small! I dealt with the kitchen until all the other rooms were somewhat completed and then came the room I knew I would be compelled to make perfect... The kitchen is the heart of the home after all. Regardless of how difficult I knew it would be, I set out on a journey to redo my kitchen. After much deliberation I decided to paint the walls a cream color, and do black and copper accents.. Not exactly decor that you could easy pick up at Walmart, but as I said I am picky and want what I want. As I began the project I had so much optimism, the wall painting with multiple coats was complete in 2 days, I found wonderful pictures to hang, found counter accessories and then... I hit a wall. I could not for the life of me find a border that matched my color scheme, budget, or the size of the chair rail. Three weeks I searched online,went store to store and after dead end after dead end, I had finally reached my limit. I decided to forget the border and paint the chair rail the same color as the rest of the wall, as much as I didn't want to. Defeated,  I went to Lowe's to get paint when the clouds opened and the angels sang (building anticipation), I saw a paintable wallpaper, and everything clicked. I could cut the paper down to the size I needed for the rail, paint it the color I wanted, and for the fraction of the cost of a 15 feet roll of border. I am all about bargains after all!


Step By Step Instructions After The Jump

Here are the steps I took to achieve my look:
(You can substitute paints to suit your style)
  1. I measured the chair rail and marked the wallpaper, and cut it with an exacto knife.
  2. I then hung the border following the directions on the package.
  3. After letting the border dry for the time specified on the package (In my case I let it dry all day.) I begun painting the border black. Be sure to get into every nook and cranny of the border to ensure the next step goes correctly.
  4. After the black dried I lightly sponge rolled a copper acrylic paint over the top, being careful not to press too hard. You want the paint to rest on the embossed area to create the effect of a pressed metal.
Another angle to show the copper finish a bit more.

I bought a 30 foot roll for 10 dollars, used a $5 can of black paint, and a $2 bottle of copper acrylic paint. $17 dollars for the materials and about 3 hours total of actual labor, not including the drying time for the paint. I still have a lot of the paintable wallpaper and have been brain storming ideas so I can use it again! Its a super easy product to use and it is really versatile. I hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap way to make a big impression!

Do you have any go to products that you love? Let me know!

Be sure to follow on Twitter @YouTique Official




2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea. In a way you might say that great minds think a like. I was in Lowe's last week and saw there paintable wall-paper. I have these old doors that I hate. My husband didn't want the work of buying and installing new ones. So I cut 5 foot pieces of this paintable paper, centered it on the door and added trim around the edges. Painted and viola! New doors. Come on over and take a look.
    They are on my October 14th post.
    I love the way you painted yours to have that antique tin look . . . you're very creative :)

    Oh, I found you through Penny Grotz Streit (we are mutual followers). I hope that you visit and become a mutual follower, too.

    Have a great autumn weekend.
    Your newest fan and follower, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Connie! I just looked at your doors girl and they are a great idea! I absolutely hate spending money on new when you can fix the old, and make it one of a kind. I appreciate your kind words, you are the type of person I do this blog for! Once again thanks for the following YouTique and look forward to many future conversations.

    ReplyDelete