Monday, March 5, 2012

Kick Up Your Feet... For Cheap!

You have to love Lazy Sundays! I may have to work in the morning on Sundays but that means my entire evening is open to watch movies, get take out Chinese food, and hang out with my pooch Roxy.... but for me I can only be lazy so long before I have to get up and do something. Earlier in the week I posted about an ottoman I found at a junk store here in town. The ottoman has a great build and is very stable, the only issues with it was a few minor scuffs on the legs and a very ugly fabric on the cushion. I bought the ottoman for $5.50 and did not want to invest anymore than $15 into it.

Step By Step How to... After the Jump!



This is the ottoman before I started to do anything with it. You can see the legs and wooden base is pretty banged up.
First I unscrewed the cushion from the base so I could begin reupholstering the seat. The fabric I chose to use I picked up at Walmart out of the scrap material bin for 99 cents.
NOTE: I'm not showing you a picture of unscrewing screws, frankly if you don't know how, you are already in over your head.
Be sure when you are putting new fabric on that you are not using a fabric that can easily be snagged. This material has a suede leathery texture to it.
After getting the cushion redone, I wiped the base down with Old English floor polish. A little dab will go a long way and as you can see it really toned down the scratches and scuffs as well as polished off some of the dirt and dust. I personally did not want to paint the piece, and actually thought the scuffs gave it some character.
Once I let the base dry for about ten minutes I reattached the cushion. Easy as that.
Lets go over how much this ottoman cost me to redo...
  • Ottoman - $5.50
  • Fabric for seat - $1.10 with tax
  • A few drops of Old English - Roughly $.50
 Total Cost: $7.10!!!

Redoing furniture does not have to be a lengthy or costly project. This entire project took about an hour and a half and cost under 8 bucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment